Refund Of Pension Payments Upon Leaving Japan

When leaving Japan, foreign nationals are able to apply for a refund of their pension contributions.

The amount of refund varies depending upon the exact pension system you were enrolled in and the length of time you were enrolled.

The refund systems for kokumin nenkin (National pension through your city hall or ward office) and shakai hoken/shigaku kyosai (Employee's Health and Pension Insurance) are very different.

Details can be found at the Japan Pension Service website or you can download the pdf from here.


footer f footer h footer m footer s

Additional information